Drawn to Victory
This map highlights not only the geographical location of the First World War but also the extent of the Western Front and major battles, specifically highlighting battles with major involvement from Canadians.
Drawn to Victory is part of a First World War commemoration project aimed at educating Canadians on the evolution of aviation, aerial photography, and cartography. With help from each of the 10 curriculum-linked learning activities, students will discover the little-known story of how thousands of Canadian pilots and Canadian topographic surveyors contributed to the past century’s greatest map renaissance. They will learn that the greatest weapon used in the First World War was not fashioned from metal but paper.
The Giant Floor Maps are available on loan for 3-week periods throughout the school year and by special request during the summer.
Giant Floor Map Dimensions
There are two map sizes available. Each map is accompanied by 10 learning activities and associated materials.
- Giant Floor Map: 11 metres by 8 metres (35 feet by 26 feet)
- Classroom-Sized Map: 5 metres by 4 metres (17 feet by 13 feet)
- Teacher’s Guide
- Background information on the First World War
- Hard copies of all learning activities
- All required materials for 10 activities (download activities below)
10.7m (35.1’) x 7.9m (25.92’)
Format salle de classe
5m (16.4’) x 4m (13.12’)