This resource is truly unlike any other! The term “Anthropocene” refers to the proposed current geological epoch, in which humans are the primary cause of permanent planetary change. With these materials, students can learn the history and science behind the Anthropocene and understand the connectivity between everyday human impacts and the Earth’s natural systems.
Instead of a giant floor map, this resource includes a 16 x 26 foot gigapixel featuring a recycling transfer station in Scarborough, Ont. This gigapixel is enhanced with hidden markers that trigger video content when scanned with a supporting device. And that’s not all! Immersive media such as augmented and virtual reality, photography and film are also included, covering everything students need to know about the current relationship between humans and the environment. Students will be taken on a unique journey that encourages an informed and emotional understanding of human-environment interactions, all from the comfort of the classroom.
The gigapixel is accompanied by 14 themed learning activities which have been developed for students in grades 4 – 12 and are connected to the Canadian Geography Learning Framework. Also included are virtual reality headsets, tablets, headphones, and props to facilitate hands-on learning.
The Anthropocene resources are available on loan for 3-week periods throughout the school year and by special request during the summer. The online resources associated with this program are available below. Note: some resources are available exclusively to members of Canadian Geographic Education and are only visible after a member has logged in with their account details.
Giant Floor Gigapixel Dimensions
- 5 metres by 8 metres (16 feet by 26 feet)
- Teacher’s Guide
- Hard copies of all learning activities
- All required materials for 14 activities (download below)
- Wall-hanging print for augmented reality: Sudan the rhino (1)
- Wall-hanging print for augmented reality: Ivory tusk pile (1)
- Wall-hanging print for augmented reality: Plastic bales (1)
- Building blocks (100)
- Book: The Adventures of a Plastic Bottle: A Story About Recycling (1)
- Book: Le Grand Voyage de Monsieur Papier (1)
- Oculus headsets (10) and charging cables (10)
- Oculus remotes (10)
- Oculus cases (10)
- iPads (10)
- iPad charging cables (10) and adapters (10)
- Headphones (10)
- Painters tape for hanging wall prints
- AA batteries for Oculus remotes
5m (16.4’) x 8m (26.25’)