Do you have questions about our Giant Floor Map program? We’ve got answers!
If you can’t find an answer to your question below, please contact us at [email protected]
- How "giant" is a Giant Floor Map?
The standard size of our Giant Floor Maps is 11 metres by 8 metres (35 feet by 26 feet), roughly half the size of a school’s gymnasium. However, some of our maps have different dimensions, so be sure to check on our homepage the size of the map that you are booking.
- Does anything come with a Giant Floor Map?
Yes, the map is accompanied by a teacher’s guide, activities and cards, and props.
- Are the Giant Floor Maps and materials bilingual?
Yes. All of our educational resources are provided in both English and French.
- Do I get to keep the Giant Floor Map?
No, the Giant Floor Map program works on three-week reservations only.
- What should I do if my map is missing a part?
Please let us know if any materials are missing so that we can replace them. Contact us at [email protected]
- Who can reserve a Giant Floor Map?
Any member of Canadian Geographic Education may reserve a map. Not a member? Sign up now!
- I’m not a teacher. May I reserve the map for an organization that I work with?
These requests are dealt with on a case by case basis. Please contact [email protected] with your request and information about your organization. Please note that priority is given to teachers and schools.
- How do I reserve a Giant Floor Map?
Log in as a member and visit the homepage to choose which map you want to book for your school. Once you’ve selected a map, click “Book Now” and follow the steps as prompted.
- Are there any costs associated with booking a Giant Floor Map?
No. All of our maps that are currently touring are free for booking. However, there are shipping costs if you request a map that isn’t currently touring.
- Why do I have to select three three-week periods?
We try our best to accommodate your first choice, however due to demand and shipping schedules, we cannot guarantee that a map will be available during your first choice of three-week period. Please ensure that you select three three-week periods that will work for you and your school.
- May I reserve a map for more or less than three weeks at a time?
All special requests are dealt with on a case by case basis. Please e-mail [email protected] with your request.
- How many times in one school year may I reserve the same Giant Floor Map?
In order to ensure that the map is available to all schools, each map may only be reserved by the same school once per school year.
- Can I book more than one Giant Floor Map at a time?
No. You may only book one map at a time.
- Why are some dates blacked out of the schedule?
You are only able to select available dates to book a Giant Floor Map.
- How is a Giant Floor Map shipped?
The map and its materials will be delivered to your school via courier in a large bag.
- Can I have the map shipped to my house?
You may have the map shipped to any location you wish. However, please note that when it arrives someone must be available to receive and sign for the delivery.
- How long will the map take to reach my school?
Depending on where the map is coming from, it may arrive at any point during the first three days of your reservation. Please account for this when you are planning your time with the map.
- What if the Giant Floor Map arrives when our school is closed (e.g., snow day, P.D. day)?
If there is no one available to sign for the map when it arrives, the map will be taken to a nearby depot, where it will be held until the next business day, when another attempt will be made to deliver the map.
- I want to prepare for the arrival of my map. Where can I access the activities/lessons that can be done on the Giant Floor Map?
You can download the teacher’s guide and all associated materials for your Giant Floor Map ahead of time. Visit our homepage for more information on each map.
- Can we use the Giant Floor Map outside on our field? Our gym is too small.
No. The Giant Floor Maps must be used indoors. Please check on our homepage the size of the map you are booking ahead of time to ensure that you have a space big enough to fit the Giant Floor Map. Some of our maps come in a smaller classroom size.
- Can the Giant Floor Map be lifted and set up by one person?
Yes. The maps are packed inside hockey bags on wheels, which means that one person could move the map, unpack it, and set it up without assistance. However, we do recommend that you get another person to help make the process go easier and faster. We advise against lifting the bag containing the map without assistance.
- Can we wear shoes and use wheelchairs on the Giant Floor Map?
Indoor shoes are allowed on the map. Shoes that have been worn outside and can track dirt or snow onto the map are prohibited. Students who require a wheelchair (or any other device to assist with mobility) are allowed on the map, the same as any other student.
- What happens if I damage the Giant Floor Map or lose something?
You are responsible for notifying Can Geo Education of any missing items. Please contact us at [email protected]. If the map is damaged in any significant way, your organization/school will incur the costs necessary to repair the map.
- What should I do if my map is dirty?
Please wipe any dirt off the map before returning it. If the map arrived in poor condition, you can let us know via [email protected].
- What is Can Geo Education?
Canadian Geographic Education, formerly the Canadian Council for Geographic Education, is the educational branch of The Royal Canadian Geographical Society.
- How do I become a member of Can Geo Education?
Sign up here! As a member you will have access to all Can Geo Education products, discounted subscription rate for Canadian Geographic magazine, and receive school resource mailings throughout the year. In addition, Can Geo Education offers a number of different professional development opportunities and awards for members.